dinsdag 4 december 2012

Phebe .... we have a problem


Phebe is what I have been working on, here is an update:

The centre piece is finally ready, with the first dogtooth border.

That means the garland applique border is next.

The way I do my applique placing is by drawing the pattern on see thru plastic foil. I can place that on top of my fabric and then place the prepared pieces underneath. I learned this method from Nanny de Haas and I really like it. Apart from not needing one of those light boxes underneath my fabric to be able to place the applique pieces correctly, this time I there was another – unexpected – advantage.

Parts of the Phebe pattern when you buy it are in pieces because of the size of the pattern – this garland border is copied on various sheets of A3 size paper – you have ‘complete’ the whole pattern by drawing one A3 piece next to another one, next to another one etc. So I did this on the plastic foil and hung the result on my design wall.

Then I noticed that contrary to the original quilt where the garland is in one piece, continuous, going anti-clockwise, here there are two garlands (or one, broken in two) each flowing in another direction, meeting at the bottom right hand corner. Below is a picture I took from the picture in the pattern (sorry about the quality), this is the original quilt by Di Ford, do you see the difference in the garland below and above?

I checked and checked again, but I did draw the pieces of the garland as indicated on the pattern.

So what to do? I really do want one continuous garland, so…….  I have some pattern adjusting to do, I guess. Hope I can make it work, back to the drawing board, as they say…

Phyllis

5 opmerkingen:

  1. Wat een prachtig middenblok is het geworden Phyllis! Wat een werk, van zulk appliceerwerk kan ik alleen nog maar dromen! Succes met je volgende rand.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Je middenblok ziet er prachtig uit, de uitleg over de rand kan ik niet helemaal volgen. Maar ik kom snel live kijken!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Ha, ha, dat kan ik begrijpen, ik zie het natuurlijk hier voor me. Het probleem is dat in de originele quilt de bloemenslinger in zijn geheel rond loopt, tegen de klok in, dus linksom. In het patroon, wanneer je dat uit tekent, gaan de linkerkant en onderkant linksom en de bovenkant en rechterkant rechtsom, waardoor ze elkaar 'tegenkomen' in de hoek rechts onder. Het zijn dus a.h.w. 2 halve bloemenslingers die linksboven beginnen en dan ieder een andere kant uit gaan om elkaar dan weer rechtsonder tegen te komen. Het is even kijken op de middelste foto...

      Verwijderen
  3. Ik zie wat je bedoelt! Moest wel even turen, want zie wel een onderbreking links boven en rechts onder. Maar je zei het zelf al, als je wilt wat je wilt, dan moet je aan het werk ;-). Misschien de patroondelen scannen en dan spiegelen op je computer. Of gewoon de blaadjes de andere kant op leggen?
    Succes in ieder geval! Mogen we dinsdag even aaien?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I am working on my Phebe center while making a few stars. I realized that I have put the sashing between the wrong sized stars so have some ripping out to do. I am not as far as the applique' border you are on but am glad that you have pointed out the difference. Your center is just beautiful!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...